Poo problems

H.A.L.A B.
on 7/5/15 6:10 am

Going once a week is not good. 

I take Miralax every day. With doc orders and approval. Plus Magnesium at night 800 mg. 

If I don't take it - I have a problem. 

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

crazy4birds
on 7/5/15 12:00 am
RNY on 12/02/14

When I went to my pre op appt one of the things the dr prescribed to have ready after surgery was liquid stool softener.  I hated the taste of it so I took Dulcolax as a little pill.  Constipation is common after any type of surgery due to the pain meds that are taken.  A lot of the people on here take Miralax regularly to keep them, well, regular.   

HW: 240   SW:  224   Goal:  130 

Navychic
on 7/5/15 4:23 am
RNY on 02/09/15

Miralax was a regular part of my routine early on when I was eating minimal regular foods.  It sooo helped, and Ducolax in the very beginning was a lifesaver.

Good Luck on your journey!

I'm Jo   HW 245, SW 236, CW 151 Yeah (Normal BMI!!!!)

M1=213 (-23), M2=201 (-12), M3=186 (-15), M4=175(-11), M5=166(-9), M6=157(-9), M7=153(-4) 

MickeyDee
on 7/5/15 9:07 pm

Stool softener and Miralax, with Milk of Magnesia if the need arises.  Look at putting some olive oil, chia seeds, or avocado in your diet.  We do need some fats.

It happens to us all.

TimeForMe61
on 7/6/15 9:37 am - Lancaster, PA
RNY on 01/22/15

At 10 days post-op, I had exactly what you experienced, a bowel impaction.  I did not go to the ER although it was a close call.  Mine is a cautionary tale -- I take Miralax every day and a Colace every other day.  Prior to surgery, I had IBS diarrhea (go figure).  Unfortunately, the impaction gave me a fissure which i am dealing with almost 6 months out and still struggling with the right balance between constipation and diarrhea.  Neither one help the situation and the excruciating pain of this. So, my message to you is to avoid having it happen again because it can literally tear you.  Or, if you feel it coming on, go to the ER.  This fissure is probably one of the most painful experiences I've ever had and no amount of narcotics gives me relief when it flares up.  Botox (yes..) is next recommended course if it doesn't heal with surgery after that to snip the muscle.  UGH.  I love my RNY but I HATE #2!!

Good Luck!!

(deactivated member)
on 7/6/15 10:49 am
RNY on 06/30/15

Your story was terrifying as well!  In hind sight,  after reading more on it,  I'm thankful it wasn't worse and really should have called 911 (I live alone and certainly couldn't have driven during the episode). I had never heard of a bowel impaction,  but that's exactly what it was,  and a bad one, at that!  I started taking stool softener immediately after,  and haven't had a single dose of pain meds or iron since it happened. I'm so afraid of it happening again!  Since the stool softener and suspension of iron and pain meds,  I have gone 3 times in less than 2 days,  so I guess it's working.  I have a message in to my dr. to see what to do about pain and iron,  but I'm not chancing that again!  

Ariann555
on 7/6/15 10:37 am
RNY on 06/12/15

I had this issue too! I was crying it was horrible. I had my Surgery on June 12th and have gone three times. I am finally going to take something. My weight loss has also stoped for the last week and I am wondering of it is due to my BM. I am following everything, maybe not taking in enough protein but everything else im prety good. I hope it goes better for you.

auntmimi
on 7/7/15 7:36 am

The first one.....oh I remember the pain! Miralax, stool softners and probiotics are my best friend. I am 17 months out and still take them daily or else I have to have a enema. Before surgery I went 2-3x a day, usually with loose stools. Now its complete opposite! Good luck! 

Most Active
Recent Topics